What is Magnesium Nitride
What is Magnesium Nitride?
Magnesium Nitride is an inorganic compound that has the chemical formula Mg3N2. It's part the cubic crystal structure. At low temperatures, pure magnesium nutridide is yellow-green however, magnesium nitride that contains parts of magnesium oxide impurities is greyish white.
The Molar mass of magnesium Nitride is 100.95g/mol. Their density stands at 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium Nitride is completely dissolvable in water and acid, but is dissolvable in the ethanol and ether.
The melting temperature of magnesium nitride lies at 1500 degrees. Magnesium nitrideis one of the metal nitrides, reacts with water and produces ammonia. It is often used as a catalyst. React with acidic or aqueous nonmetallic oxides in order to produce ammonium salts as well as magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a kind of ceramic nature. Magnesium-nitride has superior corrosion resistance, which greatly increases the efficiency of production. Magnesium nitride also has high thermal conductivity, aswell being resistant to corrosion and resistance to temperature. Magnesium is also of great significance as it's used as a catalyst in the chemical synthesis of boron.
What is Magnesium Nitride Used For?
1. Used as a catalyst when prepare the nitride of other elements that have high hardness along with high thermal conductivity wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and extreme temperature resistance. In the first successful formula for cubic boron, it was the catalyst that was used, magnesium Nitride.
2. It is used for steel with high strength and smelting additives. Magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) is a substitute for magnesium desulphurized in construction steel in smelting. This helps to increase the density strength tension, and bearing force of steel. Additionally, the use of magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurization can lower the amount of other ingredients, and thus help to reduce the costs of production for construction steel.
3. It is used to prepare special ceramic materials;
4. To manufacture a special alloy foaming agent
5. To make special glass
6. Catalytic polymer crosslinking
7. To recycle radioactive waste
How to Produce Magnesium Nitride?
Presently, the most popular preparation methods of magnesium nitride are direct reactions method for magnesium powder using nitrogen, method of reaction of carbon with nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow methods for magnesium coils in nitrogen atmosphere Chemical gas at low pressure process, self-propagating high temperature synthesis method nano magnesium nitride method of synthesis, etc.
Recently, G. Soto et al. made amorphous magnesium oxide films with different Mg/N ratios on Si substrates in a molecular nitrogen environment using Laser pulse deposition. These methods restrict their production for industrial use due to their high costs, the lengthy process and complex operation of equipment or a low yield of magnesium nitride.
While the direct reaction of magnesium powder with nitrogen is of industrial benefits, the process of magnesium nitride powder requires higher reaction temperature and longer processing time. The shape of the powder is insufficient and easy to form agglomerates, which doesn't meet demands of industrial-grade quality. In the case of NH3, it can be broken down into N- which is a broken bond faster than N2 and the decomposed H2 will inhibit the formation of MgO, which is why ammonia gas is an ideal nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. used liquid ammonia as nitrogen source for the preparation of magnesium nitride material by direct nitriding of magnesium powder. The following conclusions can be drawn: Using thermodynamic analysis, liquid ammonia is able to react with magnesium powder far more easily than nitrogen for the production of magnesium nitride. Premium magnesium nitride, with homogeneous and pure powder particles can be made by heating them to 600 and ammonia in 1h, after which it is heated to 800, ammonia flow rate 500ml/min and Nitriding time of 1h.
Magnesium Nitride Powder Mg3N2
We are a reputable chemical material supplier worldwide and manufacturer with more that 12 years of experience providing super high-quality chemicals and nanomaterials. Examples include silicon, nitride powder, graphite powderand zinc sulfide calcium nitride 3D printing powder and more.
If you're in search of top-quality Mg3N2 powder, please feel free to get in touch with us to send an inquiry. (email@example.com)